Call 01444 454055

Established in 1912 by Herbert Brown the original garage was located in South Road (now Haywards Heath main High Street) next to what is now the Haywards Heath United Reformed Church.   As the motor car was in it’s infancy, it was only really available to the most affluent and therefore quite scarce, so the main business of H. Browns Garage was the servicing and maintenance of bicycles and carts, the only really affordable means of personal transport as it was then.   The focus of the business gradually shifted to the automobile and as the Brown family owned much of the surrounding land, another premises was built alongside and named 'The South Road Works'.  H. Browns Garage became 'H. Browns Motor Agent' focusing on the motor trade and the dispensing of fuel.   In 1970 the Company became incorporated ‘Brown’s South Road Garage Ltd’, then, just 9 years later all the land was sold to W H Smith and the garage moved to Market Place forcing the name change to what it is today.

Haywards Heath the name means hedge enclosure, there were several incarnations of the name dating back to 13th century finally settling in 1569 to what it is today.  It is also rumoured that A highwayman called Jack Hayward who was notorious in the area also had a strong bearing on the final naming. Until about 150 years ago it was mainly farmland and heath within the parish of Cuckfield, then in 1841 the railway arrived (originally destined to pass through Cuckfield) and due the growth this brought, officially became a town in the 1860’s. It became known as the Metropolis of Mid Sussex.

Brown's Garage History

Browns Garage (Haywards Heath) Ltd

MOT's Browns Garage Haywards Heath - contact us Repairs Garage services including car repairs and servicing Haywards Heath Burgess Hill and the surrounding areas Servicing

Brown's Garage, established in 1912, are specialists in repairs and servicing of all makes of cars, and take pride in offering the highest standard of workmanship available

Brown's Garage, established in 1912, are specialists in repairs and servicing of all makes of cars, and take pride in offering the highest standard of workmanship available